What To Do If You Are Being Cheated

If you are being cheated, you should take action immediately, so that you can get a remedy for as much of the violation as possible. If the violation just started, you have a little time. If the violation has been going on for years, remember that the statute of limitations means that a day of liability is lost for every day you delay in filing suit. Here’s what to do:

  • Complain to the Wage and Hour Administration, U.S. Department of Labor. You can also find the nearest office by going here. Complaining to the government is a good idea, but it is not required.
  • Complain to your State Department of Labor or other State agency handling wage and hour cases. This agency should be listed in the government listings, in the blue pages of your telephone directory. You can also find the nearest office by going here.
  • DO NOT WAIT for the government to take action, unless the violation just began and you would not lose anything by waiting.
  • You should also consult an attorney who is skilled in handling these cases.

I am interested in discussing your situation with you. If your situation involves your rights in a State outside the District of Columbia, and if the case meets my standards, I will arrange to associate an attorney in the State in question under the ethical standards of that area, or will refer the case to an attorney in that State or area.