Where Can I File An EEOC Charge?

I strongly recommend that you retain an attorney to help you draft the charge. You are not required to have an attorney help you at this stage, but it can save a lot of problems down the road.

As of August 22, 2005, the EEOC web site stated the following information:

“EEOC’s National Contact Center (NCC) customer service representatives are available to assist you in more than 100 languages between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time. An automated system with answers to frequently asked questions is available on a 24-hour basis.”

You can reach the NCC by mail:

U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
P.O. Box 7033
Lawrence, Kansas 66044

By phone: 1-800-669-4000 (If you have a TTY device for hearing impaired: TTY number is 1-800-669-6820)

By Fax: 1-703-997-4890

By Email: [email protected] (Please include your zip code and/or city and state so that your email will be sent to the appropriate office.)

EEOC Headquarters is located at:

U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
1801 L Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20507
Phone: 202-663-4900
TTY: 202-663-4494

EEOC local offices and a map showing their jurisdiction can be found at: http://www.eeoc.gov/field/index.cfm.

If you choose to file a charge by yourself, you can also file a charge at any State or local fair employment practices agency that handles your type of claim, and that has a work-sharing agreement with the EEOC. Ask if there is a worksharing agreement that allows the State or local agency to accept charges on behalf of the EEOC.